Friday 11 November 2016

TOKE MAKINWA: ON BECOMING


Toke Makinwa dealt with a public personal-life setback sometime last year when news broke that her (now estranged) husband, Maje Ayida was expecting his first child with his 'side chick', Anita Solomon. Everyone had an opinion! Toke didn't have just Maje and the baby to decide about but had to cope with hundreds of comments from a public who only knew a part of the story.


But somehow, rather so gracefully, Toke Makinwa has been able to not just survive probably her worst nightmare, but live on her own terms - both literally and figuratively.
Working through a divorce, she's gone ahead to land major magazine covers, secure listener-friends on her radio show, gained more followership across social media platforms, become brand ambassador to some big brands, spoken at events where she never thought she would, make more much more money, gone on a couple of dates again, and now she is an author! And her book is titled 'On Becoming.' Apt, if you ask me.

She shot a visual for her book project which was released on her last birthday, 8th November, 2016. It was a deep summary of all that has transpired from the time news broke about her marriage till now; it really was on becoming who she now is. This visual was directed by award-winning director, Kemi Adetiba. And now, we know what the covers look like! (pics above and below).
See what Toke had to say  about writing the book:
''Today is the most exciting day of my life. Today I Become ❤️... I hereby introduce you to #OnBecoming. At the beginning of last year (2015) when the lord told me I was going to write a book I was confused. Is it God's voice, is it mine???? How will this work? I never planned to write a book, what I'm I supposed to write. I did what I had become used to, I ran. Just Like Jonah; I ran. I pushed it deep down and completely let it go. And then it began, God started sending people to me. Every time someone told me they thought I should write a book, I remembered my conversation with God in January but I was still unsure. (Fear maybe), I felt the idea was great but deep down I was not fully convinced. Then came June and my world fell apart. My world was crushed completely and in all of the pain I heard it again. This time, I knew what happened to me happened for a reason. I am a city set on a hill. My life will reflect God's glory. I have been given a platform to share and God was going to use my pain. In the pain there was a message and On Becoming was conceived.
On Becoming is My journey through pain to victory. It is my prayer that God does what he planned from the start with this project. I can't wait to put "author" in my bio. I wrote a book ya'll. I did it πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―.''

''Soft back πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ
Thank you all for your kind messages, prayers and the anticipation⭐️️πŸ˜œπŸ‘ I really cannot wait for you to read my memoir. Thank you❤️
On becoming will be available for purchase in stores home, abroad and online from the 28th of November 2016, I have so much to share with you on this journey. I pray for everyone reading this; may you get the courage you need to pursue your dreams with reckless abandon, may God take away all your fears and limitations. Your voice will be heard, you will not watch others live without achieving your own goals and as you celebrate with me, you will be celebrated too. #myjourneytoBecome #OnBecoming #Godsproject #gamechanger #TMtheAuthor #checkoutπŸ‘€mybio #Lemonstoapplejuice.''
 Live life, people. Live! And big congratulations to Toke Makinwa!!!

No comments: